Friday, August 17, 2012

NOLA Style Chargrilled Oysters

So, four months ago the only way I would eat an oyster was fried.  I was just introduced to oysters when I was preggo!  Before then I thought they were gross!  I don’t know what made me want to try them back in April, but I was curious.  Maybe I felt a little left out because everyone but me was really enjoying them!  And O-M-Gaaaaaa!!  I fell in love!  Seriously!  Two days after I tried them for the first time, I made Brian take me to Babins to see if I really liked them or if it was a onetime gig!  Well, we’ve gone out at least twice a month since then for me to get my oyster on!  I’m hooked!
Honestly, there are days when I’m dreaming of them! 

Fast forward four months and Brian and I spent our Friday night shucking, grilling, basting and cheesing!  Now, this isn’t a recipe for the first time griller!  But, if you have four hands and some time, this is totally worth it!  I’d say this is definitely a date night stay at home dinner!  Make yourself some drinks and have fun together!

Brian spent about 45 minutes shucking them!  He had never done this before! It took him a while to find his grove, but once he got the hang of it, it got much easier.  You will need to purchase strong paring knife.  We stopped by Wal-Mart on the way home to pick one up.  Oh, by the way, we got the oysters at Fiesta!  Super cheap!  $4.99 a dozen!  Way cheaper than your local seafood joint!  Since this was his first time he watched the chef on this video to show him what to do. 
In the mean-time, I turned the grill on H-O-T, HOT and made the garlic, cheese butter!  Start by grilling the oysters for 3-4 minutes until the juices in the oysters get cooking.  Top each oyster with a spoon full of the cold butter mixture and let it melt.  Once the flames are rising and the butter is melted, finish the oysters off with a tablespoon of grated Italian cheese, we used Pecorino Romano.  Close the lid and let the cheese get golden brown on the corners before removing them! 
There are absolutely no words to describe how amazing these oysters were!  Salty, buttery and cheesy!  Really, what more could you ask for!?
We found the recipe here.

Butter Mixture
Using a hand mixer, mix together
1 Stick Unsalted Butter, very soft
1 Pinch Kosher Salt
1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
4 Tbsp Pecorino Roman1 pinch Cayenne
1 pinch White Pepper
1 Spritz Lemon Juice
1 tsp Chopped Chives

Once the oysters are removed from the grill, top with fresh chives and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Mannion Memories

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs